February 2017 - present Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellow between the Institute of Cancer Research, Department of Data Science and Division of Cancer Therapeutics (London, UK), Merck & Co (MSD, Boston, USA) and Benevolent.AI (London, UK).
January 2015 - December 2016 Marie Curie - Tecniospring Postdoctoral Fellow between the Institute of Cancer Research, Division of Cancer Therapeutics in London, UK (collaboration between the Signal Transduction and Molecular Pharmacology Team (Prof. Paul Workman) and the Computational Biology and Chemogenomics Team (Dr. Bissan Al-Lazikani)) and the Systems Pharmacology Group from the Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute in Barcelona, Spain.
October 2007 – December 2008: Molecular Modelling Department, R&D, SALVAT Laboratories, Barcelona (Spain). Research Grant for a joint project between the pharmaceutical company SALVAT Laboratories and the Molecular Design Lab at Ramon Llull University in 11b-HSD1 drug discovery.
· Patent Application: PCT/ES2010/000258, WO/2010/139827 WIPO
April 2007 – September 2007: Chemoinformatics and molecular modelling auxiliar scientist. Joint project between Modesto Orozco Lab (IRB - BSC), Juan Fernandez-Recio Lab (BSC) and the biotech company Genmedica Therapeutics.
July 2005 – September 2005: Undergraduate summer placement as science technician to set up a fragment database for NMR Fragment Based Drug Discovery for the biotech company CrystaX Pharmaceuticals (later merged with Oryzon).
2009-2014 European PhD in Pharmacoinformatics EUROPIN at Pompeu Fabra University (UPF), Barcelona, Spain. Systems Pharmacology Group (advisor: Dr. Jordi Mestres)
2002-2007 MSc and BSc in Organic Chemistry at Ramon Llull University, IQS.
AWARDS, HONOURS & FELLOWSHIPS
- 2017 Best Poster communication at SEF 2017 (Spanish Pharmacological Society Annual Conference)
- 2016 Sir Henry Wellcome PostDoctoral Fellowship
- 2014/15 Extraordinary Award to the best PhD Thesis by Pompeu Fabra University
- 2014 Marie Curie Tecniospring Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- 2011 FI AGAUR Predoctoral Research Fellowship from the Generalitat of Catalonia Government.
- 2nd prize best science presenter PRBB in 2013 YouTube
- 2nd prize Microscience from Politechnical University of Valencia 2012
- El·lipse Science Dissemination 1st prize in 2010.
- Sir Henry Wellcome PostDoctoral Fellowship 2017. Awarding body: The Wellcome Trust. Grant Holder: Dr. Albert Antolin. Title of project: "Harnessing Polypharmacology in Precision Oncology" (204735/Z/16/Z). Ammount: 250,000 £. Dates: February 2017 - January 2021.
- ICR Vacation Studentship Scheme 2016. Awarding body: The Institute of Cancer Research. Grant Holder: Dr. Bissan Al-Lazikani, Dr. Albert Antolin & Mr. Kristoff Farkas-Pall. Title of project: "Drug discovery trees: tracing pharmacology evolution". Ammount: 2,000 £. Dates: 8 weeks starting June 2016.
- Marie Curie Tecniospring PostDoctoral Fellowship. Awarding body: EU and Catalonia Government. Grant Holder: Dr. Jordi Mestres & Dr. Albert Antolin. Title of project: "Exploiting Systems Pharmacology in Cancer Therapeutics" (TECSPR14-1-0025). Ammount: 93,308 €. Dates: January 2015 - December 2016.
- FI AGAUR Predoctoral Research Studentship. Awarding body: Catalonia Government. Grant Holder: Mr. Albert Antolin. Title of project: "The impact of polypharmacology in chemical biology". Ammount: 60,000 € aprox. Dates: February 2011 - February 2014.
English (high level)
French (medium level)
Italian (medium level)
German (basic level)
July – October 2011: University of Perugia (Italy). Pellicciari Lab.
July – September 2006 (undergraduate summer placement): INSA-Toulouse (France). Pierre Monsan Lab.
PARTICIPATION IN EUROPEAN PROJECTS
ARITMO – Arhythmogenic Potential of Drugs HEALTH-2007-4.2-2:241679
MSc Bioinformatics for Health Sciences (Master Thesis), Pompeu Fabra University
PhD Nutrition and Metabolism (Member of the PhD Thesis Defense Committee), Rovira i Virgili University
MEMBER OF SCIENTIFIC ASSOCIATIONS & SOCIETIES
MEMBER OF COMMITTEES
ICR PostDoc Association Committee, IT representative
LGBT+ Network (ICR & RMH), social representative
Entrepeneurship University of Cambridge, Judge Business school, Ignite 2016 course.
Project Management Europin training programme. website
Patenting University of Barcelona, Patent center, courses on Pharmacy and Chemistry patents and patent transfer.
Science writing and communication PRBB Intervals courses (website) and ICR.
Grant and Fellowship writing ICR and Cancer Research UK (CRUK).
- OS: Linux, UNIX and Windows
- Scripting Languages: Python
- Statistics: R
- Drug Design Commercial Software: Schöridinger suit, MOE, Discovery Studio, ROCS (OpenEye), Volsurf and Metasite (Molecular Discovery), GOLD (CCDC).
- Drug design non-commercial software: PyMol, Cactvs Browser, Autodock, etc.
- Basic Chemoinformatics software and workflow systems: KNIME, RDKit.
- In silico target profiling: CLARITY (developed at my former lab and now commercially available through the spin-off company Chemotargets).
- Electronic notebook: Dotmatics
- Data visualization, analysis and illustration: Vortex, Cytoscape, Illustrator.
- Basic SQL language skills
- Experience working with and developing multidisciplinary databases (like Drugbank, Pubchem, ChEMBL, canSAR…) and website resources (like Probe Miner, FCP, iPHACE, PHARMATREK, etc.).
- Bioinformatics: analysis of cancer cell line 'omics' data.
- Analysis of clinical data.
Project management, including CRO outsourcing and multidisciplinary projects
Communication Skills: Good science communicator across different scientific disciplines.
Science writing and outreach
Teaching ICR course Introduction to Bioinformatics
Organisation of scientific meetings